As we discussed in the post “Why I started to stream video games,” streaming can be a fun way to take your gaming to the next level. It all sounds good in theory, but actually setting up the theme can feel a bit overwhelming. Not to worry. We have simplified it as much as possible to show you how easy it is to get a stream up and running quickly on Twitch.
The easiest way to set up a live Twitch stream on XBOX One or PS4:
- On your computer, go to Twitch.com and create a free account.
- Confirm and activate your account and stay logged in on your computer.
- Go to your console: download the Twitch App on your console of choice (Xbox and PS4 basically work the same).
- Open the Twitch App on you console and click log in.
- Follow the activation instructions on your screen.
- Use the generated special code given to you, and input into the activation webpage.
- Congrats! You are now ready to stream.
Start streaming your games on Twitch:
- Start the game you want to stream.
- Open Twitch App from your dashboard.
- Select the “Broadcast” on the start page of the Twitch app.
- Edit “Broadcast Title” and rename your stream to whatever you’d like.
- Click “Settings”
- Adjust the broadcast settings to fit your specific needs.
- Save and exit out of settings .
- Select “Start Broadcasting” to start streaming live!
Adding a camera to your stream on XBOX one or PS4
Including a camera feed with your stream adds another dimension to your content. It gives your viewers a chance to see your reactions to the highs, and more likely, lows of your gaming adventures. There are many options out there, but you simply need a USB webcam to get started. Plug that directly into your console, and it will now give you the option to capture video at the same time. If you happen to have an XBox Kinect, it has a built in camera, and you could also use that to start streaming your video.
PRO TIP: Setting up your streaming area
When you start to get serious about streaming, the environment you utilize to generate the content becomes important. You may have started just setting up the accounts, and streaming live from your living room where you already did all of your gaming. That’s fine for the casual streamer, but if you want to include video, interact with your audience, and eventually start to generate some revenue from your stream, you’ll have to consider a more efficient setup than the Lovesac in your man cave.
Tips for your streaming set up:
- Pick a quiet room in your hours.
- Use a desk or table to stream from.
- Get a comfortable chair for the desk (KEY TO SUCCESS).
- Have a laptop or computer next to your gaming monitor.
- Login to your channel from your computer.
- Adjust your “Quick Actions” shortcuts to better interact with your viewers.
- Start your stream, and monitor the conversation from your computer.
- After you stream, be sure to create a highlight of your last video.
Have fun streaming! Let us know if we missed anything, or if you have any pro tips you’d like to share.